High-Level Meeting on the Midterm Review of the Sendai Framework
The HLM provides a platform for Member States, the United Nations system partners and other stakeholders to reflect on the findings and recommendations of the Midterm Review, to examine context shifts and emerging issues since 2015, and identify course corrections and new initiatives to more effectively address the systemic nature of risk, and realise the outcomes and goals of the Sendai Framework, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the Paris Agreement and other agreements, frameworks and conventions.
Translations are available here.
High-Level Meeting Objectives
The HLM is expected to:
- Raise global awareness and generate political will and momentum to integrate risk reduction in all decision-making, investment, and behaviour in alignment with the Sendai Framework to reduce disaster risk and build resilience across sectors.
- Showcase solutions and best practices to address gaps and obstacles and announce commitments and plans to accelerate implementation.
- Encourage the adoption and application of a risk-informed and prevention-oriented approach, through multi-sector practices on disaster risk management and resilient development planning.
- Showcase the value proposition of the full implementation of the Sendai Framework for the least developed countries, landlocked developing countries, and small island developing States.
- Enhance national, sub-regional and international cooperation to realise risk-informed decision-making, investment, and behaviour to inform strategic foresight to prevent or prepare for future global crisis.
Thursday, 18 May 2023 – General Assembly Hall
- 10:00 – 11:00: Opening Segment
- 11:00 – 13:00: Plenary - Charting liveable pathways for humans and nature
- 13:00 – 15:00: Break
- 15:00 – 18:00: Plenary - Charting liveable pathways for humans and nature
Friday, 19 May 2023 – Trusteeship Council Chamber
- 10:00 – 11:30: Multistakeholder Panel 1 - From Managing Disasters to Managing Risk; Risk Governance fit for the 21st century
- 11:30 – 13:00: Multistakeholder Panel 2 - De-risking investment and reconfiguring the global financial system - moving from risk generation to risk reduction
- 13:00 – 15:00: Break
- 15:00 – 16:30: Multistakeholder Panel 3 - Strategic foresight and risk reduction to accelerate implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- 16:30 – 17:45: Multistakeholder Panel 4 – A collective responsibility – localising disaster risk reduction
- 17:45 – 18:00: Closing segment
On display 18 May to 3 July 2023.